Wednesday, May 25, 2022

What time is it? Post time! Today's blog post will be a bit serious. I'll be talking about Rika from Mystic Messenger, and there will be spoilers ahead. To be clear, I'm talking about the problem with Rika; not Rika as a character. I've always had a bit of an issue with Rika, although it's not her personality that bothers me. It's actually, her actions. Of course you're not really supposed to like the villain, but the reasoning behind her actions feels like a scapegoat. Mental illness is often used as an explanation for a villain's actions. However, that doesn't mean it's right. Characters like this cause demonization and misunderstandings related to real disabled people. Normally I brush things off as just, clearly not true. But as someone who has many of the same problems as Rika, seeing these illnesses being used like this can be damaging. Even when people don't seek help, they often don't end up as bad as her. Had they not specified any illnesses, it wouldn't have been as bad. But people with the same illnesses as the ones listed for Rika can be damaged by characters like this. It isn't an accurate representation at all, and Rika is a very extreme case. Although Rika isn't the only character like this, she is one of the most well-known characters. But, I digress. I know this post was a bit heavier than my others, and I apologize. I just wanted to talk about this. Nonetheless, I hope you all still enjoyed this blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment