Thursday, October 5, 2023

It's post time! For today's blog post, I will be talking about why Light Yagami from Death Note is actually a good character. Yes, I know. There are several posts on this blog that mention my extreme dislike of Light Yagami. However, my hatred towards him is actually a good thing. Let me explain. But first, here's a spoiler warning for those who haven't seen Death Note yet. So, let's get on with it! Light Yagami is, an idiot. He's selfish, egotistical, and sometimes downright cruel at times. But he wasn't always. Light was originally a normal student. He worked hard, had big dreams of following in his father's footsteps, and he was actually a very nice person. You can see these traits whenever he loses his memories of the Death Note. The Death Note series does a good job of showing what can happen when someone is given too much power. The Death Note itself doesn't corrupt people. Instead, the power it gives them amplifies traits that were already there. Light is a very good example of this. He already had a strong sense of justice. When he was given the power to punish criminals with just a flick of his wrist, it twisted his sense of justice into something far worse. We're not supposed to like Light Yagami while he's Kira. We're supposed to feel sorry for him and his wasted life and potential. Light is a very tragic person. He could've had a very positive and fulfilling life if Ryuk hadn't been bored that day; or if Light let someone else pick up the Death Note. I like Light as a person, and I do feel sorry for him as the series goes on. But I don't like Light as Kira, and it's important to separate those things. Light Yagami is not Kira, and Kira is not Light Yagami. Instead, they're opposites of each other. Light Yagami cares about getting justice the correct way, whereas Kira considers himself a god with the power to punish anyone any way he sees fit. When I say I hate Light Yagami, I really mean I hate who became as Kira. Light himself is actually one of my favorite tragic characters, and I think his character was written well. I would also like to mention that his mistakes and stupid actions only started happening after his views were twisted, and Light himself when he's in his right mind is actually more cautious and displays more intelligence with his actions. I think that's another good way of showing that Light Yagami as Kira is no longer thinking or acting like himself. But, those are mostly just my thoughts on this topic. I just wanted to talk about this because I've mentioned quite a few times how much I dislike Light Yagami. Nonetheless, I hope you all still enjoyed this blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment