Tuesday, July 28, 2026

New day, new post! For today's blog post, I will be talking about a complicated topic. Recently in the anime community, there's been a lot of femboy and tomboy erasure. It really bothers me, since it's just teaching people they can't be themselves. For those of you who may not know, a femboy is a man who dresses and acts feminine but is still a man. On the other hand, a tomboy is a woman who dresses and acts masculine but is still a woman. But in recent years, if a man is too feminine or a woman is too masculine, everyone says they're secretly trans and they just don't know it yet. It doesn't matter if the character corrects people who use the wrong pronouns, or if the character yells at people who call them the opposite gender. People still say "well all trans people do that before they discover who they really are". This actually started a long time ago with Grell Sutcliff from Black Butler. Grell was never explicitly stated to be a man or a woman because he was fine with both pronouns. He wears a suit and is referred to as a man by pretty much all of the other characters. He does use feminine pronouns for himself, but drag queens and feminine gay men also do that; which made things unclear. But because he was too feminine, fans immediately decided he isn't a feminine gay man and he isn't genderfluid, he's a trans woman. Personally I still use masculine pronouns for Grell because he's canonically fine with both pronouns, even if he usually uses feminine pronouns for himself. But I wouldn't suggest for others to do it because the fans will tear you apart for it. Which is part of the problem. The biggest problem with this is the "I'm right and you're wrong" mindset, and the bullying creators receive if they go against their fans. Oftentimes creators will just cave and give in to fans who won't leave them alone. This isn't fair for anyone. Personally I love how tomboys and femboys are shown in anime, and fans forcing "representation" onto them is ruining the experience for me and everyone else. People need to learn to keep their mouths shut and just accept what they're given, instead of forcing their own thoughts and beliefs onto everyone else. But, those are mostly just my thoughts on this topic. Nonetheless, I hope you all still enjoyed this blog post! And I hope at least some of you agree with it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment