Thursday, December 29, 2022

Should Light Yagami be considered a villain? Well, that's what I'll be talking about in today's blog post! There will be spoilers though, so proceed with caution! Now then, let's get on with it! I've personally talked about Light's somewhat ambiguous alignment before, but I haven't really talked about if he would be a villain or not. The word villain has become a somewhat caroonishly evil word, but it may still fit. Although he started out wanting to help people, Light turned down a very dark path. He became a serial killer with god-like ambitions, and in the process he lost most of himself and his humanity. It's easy to say the Death Note itself corrupted him, but I don't think that's the case at all. It wasn't the Death Note itself, but rather the power it gave him. There have been other Death Note owners who didn't become so corrupted, so it isn't the notebook's fault. However, I'm sure there are many real humans who would go absolutely mad with power if given this chance. After all, a name on a page is much different than seeing the person themself. But to counter this argument, Light continued killing even after seeing people die right in front of him. He was very aware of what he was doing, but he saw everyone and everything as a means to an end; like it was a sort of game. He didn't care who he used for what, or why he used them. They were all just pawns to him, and he eventually started taking pride in his work and sense of justice. Because of this, I think I can safely say he is a villain. He may have started with good intentions, but in the end that means nothing. But, these are mostly just my thoughts on this topic. I know there are many fans of Light, and that's fine. But I couldn't imagine living in a twisted world of his creation, where people would be killed for doing even the slightest thing against his will. Nonetheless, I hope you all still enjoyed this blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment