Wednesday, September 9, 2026

It's post time! As games push away female players and try to appeal more to male players, I find myself enjoying games less and less. It's hard to like something that isn't made for you. However, today I had the same problem with the game Touhou LostWord. The only difference is, this game is supposed to be for women. The main character is referred to as a girl and is frequently called she. But if you play the game, it feels like it was made for men. There are only girl characters and no boys, but there's still an overwhelming amount of fan service in the gacha banners and even the character designs. Using female pronouns for the main character chases men away, but making all of the characters exclusively girls with too much fan service chases most women away. Don't get me wrong, I understand who this game was made for. I just don't understand why. Realistically the target audience for this game is so small that I genuinely don't see why it's like this. There's also been players complaining about the lack of male characters, which makes this even more confusing. Women can and will play games with only girl characters, they do it all the time. But making those characters look inappropriate will just chase most of the fans away. Especially since it's obvious they don't want men to play it. This is the first time I've played a game like this and it confuses me to no end. It also makes me very uncomfortable and I don't really want to play it. I was interested in Touhou because I've heard good things about it, but this game is quickly killing my interest. Regardless, those are mostly just my thoughts on this topic. Nonetheless, I hope you all still enjoyed this blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment